Re: Sealing the gas tank sender opening

To: Brick <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sealing the gas tank sender opening
From: Tag Atkinson <senseitag@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 22:43:47 -0700
Hi Marvin,

I have done the Gas-tank drop drill.  It is a full days job.  Not fun and
requires lots of words unsuitable for children.  If you can, hoist the car.
It is not an impossible job, just time consuming and painfull.  Oh and we
used rubber tools and wooden bars for everything, going slowly and avoiding
sparks.........

The biggest problem was reconnecting the top of the tank to the rubber hose
that connects to the metal flange around the gas cap.  We ended up having to
open up a small square in the fiberglass (this repair is now well hidden
under the carpet and as solid as the original).

You will probably have the tank out for awhile as the sealant process is
fairly long and involved.  Some radiator places still do it.

The gage/float assembly is fragile.  While we had the tank out we also
removed the gas filter that floats in there as well.

Also make sure to reconnect the ground wire so that your gas gage continues
to work.

Good luck with the repair.
Tag