Re: Pirate tapes???

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pirate tapes???
From: "Phil Martin" <pmartin_vacation@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:56:10 +0000
----Original Message Follows----
From: KYNDUVME1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:40:04 EST

  I think saying that we are making pirate tapes is a bit extreme... What is
the difference if all of us just taped it ourselves on our own VCR's when it
aired.  The people charging are just covering costs I believe.  Commennts?
====

Well, like I said, I don't want to moralize.  I didn't intend to use
inflammatory language, but since you raise the issue, I would point out that
your "What is the difference..." question could be applied to almost any
form of copyrighted material and piracy.

If I go buy a CD and burn copies of it and make them available at a nominal
price to cover my cost, then that's a form of piracy.  Same goes for books,
movies, etc.

Personally, I think that sharing copied material in the cases where the
original *isn't* readily avaliable is a necessary and important practice.  A
good example of this would be our Bricklin shop manuals...  But in the case
where the original material is readily available, why not support the people
who made it?  At $20, it will probably be the *least* expensive
Bricklin-related purchase any of us make. ;)

But I really don't want to try to preach to anyone, or try to change
people's views - I just wanted to mention it as food for thought - that the
B is getting some recognition, and that there's a way for us to encourage
more of that buy shelling out for the tapes.

--
Phil Martin
"All I ever dream of, is a farm and field of green bud"