taking a gauged plunge

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: taking a gauged plunge
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 06:23:16 -0400
Ok, so I've calmed down as the pieces are finally coming together.   So I
need a new headache.

 Well after visiting the egauges.com website, I've decided to take a big
plunge and replace ALL the gauges on the B.  It seems they have compatible
gauges for all the stock ones in the Black INDUSTRIAL SERIES, a real nice
looking black & white w/white pointers, and the tach and 160mph speedo in
the Black COCKPIT series, the only difference is Cockpit items will have red
pointers, which will set off the two main gauges nicely.   Terry Tanner was
nice enough to send be a newly and very nicely redone panel due to a mishap
that occurred to mine during some repairs he was performing, so I'll be able
to set the whole thing up before installing it.  At that time I'll take pics
and send them down the line.

Ok, I know in the latest issue of Brickline, there is an outfit that can
rework the OEMs, but I think the newer gauges will be more reliable and
better looking without looking add-on or out of place.

Part of the reason in the switch is that after some mods(which are actually
beginning to work!), I want to add a voltmeter, vac. , air pressure,  and
upgrade to a 100amp Ammeter(hi output alternator was installed), and an
80psi Oil pressure(more accurate at common observed level of 50-70).  The
sending units seem to be fully compatible.  The extra gauges will go in a
customized Tanner center console that will also include an additional
factory look switch panel for some added toys like Buell air horns,
integrated Hella driving lights, audio amp, CD changer controls, and cruise
controls (the original radio is intact and working, even the digits digit,
the CD plays through the antenna and the PPI PowerClass amp takes the
speaker level outputs) along with a !&!&*! ashtray and lighter. Also going
to see about wiring the interior door lock switch to the seat belt idiot
light.  Now, because I earlier went with an MSD box, I can eliminate the
present adapter and go directly with a standard ign triggered tach.  with a
set-able shift point indicator just like the OEM.

This means I'll have a spare fully functioning fully intact gauge panel up
for grabs(slightly smudged but no cracks or anything), all gauges in good
working order and in as new condition(no corrosion, fading, scratches,
etc.).   I also have a Hoffman center console available in good shape( a
couple of nicks here and there, easily taken care of if desired).   Both
items will be going up for Ebay auction if someone on the list does not wish
to make a me a fair offer.   I figured I'd give everyone here a chance first
before I post these to the masses.

This work I'm doing myself so there's no screw up, with the exception of
adapting the OEM speedo cable to the new gauge, which any speedo shop should
be able to do without TOO MUCH difficulty.

Now, some might be wondering why someone so fussy about OEM appearance would
be willing to change all the gauges, well the answers are the added
readability, accuracy, and versatility without really departing from the
original look much except for very, very, minor differences(as for the
original gauge panel).   This car is a daily driver, in fact I commute into
deep Miami several days a week, mostly on the turnpike.   Also, all of these
changes do NOT require hacking the OEM wiring harness either.   Well, wish
me luck.  Hmm, now if I could only hook-up a heads up display<grin>

stephan #2821

///
///