Re: GASOLINE ODOR

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GASOLINE ODOR
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:14:18 -0400
At 01:02 PM 4/17/01 -0400, Kline, John E (NAVFACHQ) wrote:
>When I pull the Bricklin into the garage, I am careful not to run the engine
>for any length of time.  I notice that after shutting the engine off that a
>gasoline odor is present.  The odor remains for some time after.  Any
>suggestions on what to look for?

John,

   I'd start and smelling around.  Is it comming from the rear or the front
of the car.  If the rear, check the gas tank and the flex line that attaches
to the tank.  If you haven't changed the 2 flex lines (one at the tank, the
other at the front in the eng. bay,) I'd change them just for good luck!

   Next open the hood and look and smell around.  Especially eye, where the
fuel line goes into the carb, and the intake manifold around the carb.  From
the database you have a 75.  That should have a charcol canister and a hose
comming from the float bowl to a return line at the back of the drivers side
front fender well.  Check that hose for possible leaks.

   How has you gas milage been?  The fuel pumps are know to fail and leak.
I'd expect that you'd see a marked decrease in fuel milage though.  That
is also worth a look.  If all this checks OK, you might want to remove the
air filter, next time you drive the car into the garage, and check to see
if there is any fuel dripping into the carb.  This would give you a gas
smell.

  Most of the newer cars are pretty good about sealing off the fumes.
The older car however weren't.  It's not uncommon to smell fuel from a
pre 74 car without the canister and the overflow catcher.

Hope this helps.  Let us know what you find.

John

by opening the hood

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org