Re: Big XXV meet pictures & Western Region/California Bricklin Events

Subject: Re: Big XXV meet pictures & Western Region/California Bricklin Events
From: "Michael V. Mitchell" <Bricklin1155@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 05:17:09 -0400
Hi All!

    I'd just like to add a few cents to this thread...

    Much of the success of the ANY meet is due to the efforts of the BI
members - and more specifically - the members in that area. I do not wish to
diminish the efforts of others and certainly recognize the individuals that
have made sacrifices to participate or driven great distances to attend, but
would rather like to compliment and recognize the efforts of the Regional
Clubs and individual efforts of those in the Michigan area. Since becoming
more involved in the club, I have found that BOOM (Bricklin Owners Of
Michigan) has been a major contributor in my area. They are also a major
contributor to Bricklin International. Take a look at the BI Board of
Directors - many are concentrated in or around Michigan. BOOM has a strong,
active club going and makes an effort to attend every meet that they can.
The individuals that comprise the club invest a large amount of time and
effort to make both BOOM and BI a success. Certainly, BIG XXV was a great
success! Getting over 30 Bricklin together in one place is a major feat. My
sincere and personal thanks to all that were involved in the recent National
Meet - what a great event!

    BI has our major vendors and other contributors, too - certainly Terry
Tanner and Bob Hoffman are names recognized by all on our side of the
country and have made major contributions to BI in both time as well as
money and donations. I would also like to recognize the members of BI who
have been there 'all along'. Those of you who had the pleasure of meeting
Jerry Putnam, Roy Knowles, Rich Haines or John Cherba - to name just a few -
will know what I mean. I also understand that Scott Hannish made a
substantial contribution in returning BI to an ongoing, financially stable
entity and without him we may not have had a functioning club at all. (I
know I've missed some names - please don't feel left out!)

    My point is that the success of any club such as our own rests on the
efforts and participation of - ultimately - YOU! We, as members, cannot just
pay our membership fee and then rely on the Directors of BI or of the
Regional Clubs to do all the work. I believe this is the 'apathy' that Kevin
refers to. It us up to us - as individuals - to make a contribution of time
and find the cars. We need to encourage other owners to participate - as
well as participate on a regular basis ourselves. It is due to the
cumulative efforts of individuals - great or small - that we succeed!

    I challenge each of you to attend both one regional and one national BI
event in the next year - if no regional club is in existence in your area -
form one! I challenge each of you to attend multiple non-BI local shows and
follow-up on any Bricklin Owner / car leads that may result (that's how
George Malaska & I met - at a local cruise-in!). I challenge each of you to
find one car or owner this year who is not a member of BI and get them
involved. (We all hear - "Oh, I know someone who has one of those behind his
barn." - follow-up and FIND IT!!) I also challenge you meet with owners in
your area as a group at least twice a year. It's not that difficult and it's
a heck of a lot of fun! I firmly believe that we can easily increase
attendance at our National meets if each of us invests a little time and
effort.

    I'm attempting to do my part - I recognize that my contribution is
important, however small it may be. I hope that you will recognize that your
contribution is of great value too. It really doesn't take a whole lot of
time - and it is a labor of love! At this time, I would again ask that those
in the Ohio area who I am not presently in contact with please drop me a
line. If you know of a Bricklin in the area or of a non-BI owner - let me
know! I am attempting to get MBO active again - my core people are beginning
to form up. Our hope is to have the Kenton Pig Roast active again (although
at another location) next year and to host a National in the Ohio area again
(2 yrs?). I will need YOUR assistance!! Time will tell!

Michael

P.S. - Thanks for the compliment on the webpage. The Orange car's bumper is
actually black ... it is just missing the paint on the upper side. I still
have some banquet pictures to post ... keep an eye out for them. I was
planning to do that this morning, but would up writing my thought instead.
<grin> I am also seeking assistance on identifying all of the cars / people
in the pictures and listing the people and cars that received awards. Any
feedback you can give me would be appreciated.

Another note ... My wife, daughter & I attended the recent Delorean meet in
Cleveland (along with the Candy and Ken Reese). Delorean built about 8,500
cars - 2914 Bricklins were constructed (yes, I know 'Bricklin Vehicle'
actually didn't built that many ..). The Delorean Club claims to have had
about 100 cars (didn't seem like that many to me, but I didn't count 'em)
and we had 32. Point is that - at least mathmatically - our turn-out is
similar to another club of similar nature but of larger size. Both numbers
work out to be just over 1%. I don't think we did all that bad when put in
this light!! Let shoot for an increasing percentage of cars in future years!