A/C (Electrical?) assistance requested

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: A/C (Electrical?) assistance requested
From: "Michael V. Mitchell" <Bricklin1155@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 12:25:57 -0400
The weather here in Ohio has finally taken a turn for the better. Yesterday
was 90+ degrees and the cruisers were out in great numbers. I, of course,
was perfectly willing to join them! Much to my dismay, however, my A/C did
not function!

My question has to do with the electrical portion of the A/C system. I need
some help to determine where the problem with the system lies.

* It does not appear the the compressor is activating at all. This is not a
matter of not blowing cold enough, ducting problems, etc. (At this point, I
do not believe there is any problem with the compressor itself - although I
have not 'hot-wired' it to test it.)
* I am NOT getting power to the wire at the compressor.

* I have determined that the heater / A/C fuse is okay (has power to both
sides of fuse)

* The dashboard switch (rheostat?) functions (tested via ohmmeter).
* I am NOT getting power to either of the leads to the switch (brown on
bottom, brown with white on top).
? Should I be getting power to the leads to the dashboard? Where do those
leads go to?
? What is the small metal 'tube' that also goes to the switch? What function
does this serve?

? What am I missing? Where / what else should I be checking?

Thanks in advance for the help! Keep your answers relatively simple ... I do
not profess to be a capable mechanic by any stretch of the imagination!