Re: Compressed Gas for Air Doors

To: jgarru01@longisland.poly.edu, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Compressed Gas for Air Doors
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 17:42:02 PST
>Has anyone ever used a high pressure compressed gas tank, like used for
>welding gasses, for the air doors? on a separate is it possible to bend
>the door hinges or roof with too much pressure in the system? if so what
>is the max pressure that can safely be used. My hoses are rated to
>150psi and I used up to 140psi but never held the button with the door
>fully up. Is it possible to damage the car like that?

I believe what limits this is the throw of the cylinder, not the pressure
used. The issue that plagued original hydraulic cars was the high pressure
coupled with the failure of the door latch solenoid opening, causing, as I
understand, the piston to bow the door.  Usually the pressure on the
cylinder is determined by the regulator -- it should be high enough to open
the door in about 2 seconds, not much quicker than that -- no reason for it
to be real high, mine is around 80 psi.

As to the high pressure solution, I didn't go through the math so can't
comment on that (except that 1 atm is 14.7 psi so you might want to round
up), but regardless, I think that air (not o2) would be cheaper and more
available. When I used to dive, it was about $2-3.00 for 80 cubic ft.

There will be DOT issues with the tank and its location.  High pressure
tanks are a bit dangerous in a wreck so placement is critical.  I will never
forget my SCUBA class in 1974 where they showed the explosive potential of a
2,500 psi 74 cubic ft. tank. On last thing, of course, is that when adding
pressure from the larger tank to the smaller, each time it gets more and
more inefficient (transfers less and less volume) with the lower available
pressure in the large tank.  Have you tried Tanner's expensive compressor?
Although it is a bit of an overkill for me, for you it might be a better
alternative. Kim