Steering col!

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering col!
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 21:16:28 -0500
Hey gang,  if you ever have to have any sandblasting done to your car,
besure the steering col. is removed.  The one in 887 wasn't :(  I've just
spent the better part of 4 days tearing mine down, cleaning, painting,
and reassembling it!  I started taking it apart Thursday, spent about 6 hrs
and ran into a problem trying to remove the pins that hold the 2 halves
of the inside together.  Went over to my dad's on Friday and we spent about
3 hr getting the pins out and going a little further.  Then we ran into a
problem, we needed a E-8 socket.  (I know, what the hell is an E-8 socket?)
So finally Sat. I got the thing apart, cleaned all the major parts, and
painted the shaft, and outer col.

Now comes the hard part, putting it back together! Unfortunately, as you
take the thing apart, you can't see 1/2 the parts your dealing with.  So
all of a sudden you've got all kinds of part all over the place and NO idea
of how things go back together.  After spending about 3 hrs. getting no
place, I finally decided I'd have to take another col. apart.  A little
more carefully this time, and as I disassembled it, I'd put mine back
together. doesn't  some more of it apart.  After about 8 hrs at it, I
finally got everything back together with the help of ScottE (my #2 son).

So unless your a masakist (sp) or crazy like me, don't try it.  It aint as
easy as it looks.

BTW Happy New Year to everyone!

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org