Re: Air Tank In Rear Bumper

To: jblair@exis.net, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air Tank In Rear Bumper
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:59:33 PST
>Jim and I sat down at my house one afternoon and looked through the JC
>Whitney
>catalog and looked for the part # the Kim had referenced in his article.
>We could NOT find it, but there were 3 different insulations.  I purchased
>the one that is 48"x24' for about $95 (including shipping).  This stuff has
>a fiberglass strand reinforced foil (maybe mylar) backing.  The insulation
>looks like the blue & white carpet underlayment you can get at a carpet
>shop.  Except that it also has strands of string or something going through
>it.  This makes the hole thing pretty strong and tough to cut.

The one in the online whitney catalogue is 25ZX0705N.  The one I referenced
in the article is 25LEO705N.  I cannot explain why the different numbers --
perhaps different catalogues, etc.  I think I used three rolls of 4 ft by 6
ft (if I remember correctly).  I am somewhat of a contrarian so I put the
foil side up in the hatch back, where my car normally leaks, cause the foil
is pretty waterproof and I didn't want the padding side to sponge it up.
Also, there is much less heat back there.  I figured if it leaked, I could
dry the carpet much easier.  As it is, I keep the car covered and a little
pail back there for when it rains.  The material that I used, although in
several rolls, was the same as described above and 3/8 in thick.  New
scissors are the way to go (and only cost me 7.00 at the store), that's for
sure -- I tried the razor blade, old shear thing just like John before I
bought the pair. Kim