Re: Upgarding to 17" Rims

To: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>, <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Upgarding to 17" Rims
From: "George J. Malaska" <bricklingeorge@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 19:41:39 -0500
  The original wheels are aluminum made by Perma-Cast Co.  Many of them were
not very true (lots of runout). Some can be corrected and some just have too
much runout. There is only so much that can be machined off. Most of the
Bricklins I have had I was able to tell if the wheels on the steer had
runout because there was an inherent slight shake in the steering wheel at
between 62-65 mph. This was not balance but runout. It is less noticible if
you put those wheels in the rear. If you bolt the wheel on the hub and set a
dial indicator on the outer or inner rim edge, you can see how much runout
there is. I have never bothered to have mine trued but I have heard that it
costs approx. 75.00 to 100.00 per wheel to do it.
  I also question the Corvette wheels fitting as I believe the lug pattern
is different and also the offset may be different. I suggest that if you
want to change wheels you call someone like Tire Rack and tell them what you
have and are looking for. I think they have a web sight that you can see all
the wheels that they have to offer.
  Hope this helps.
  George.

George J. Malaska, VIN#768.
Membership Director, Bricklin International
Elkhart, IN. 219-875-1270
bricklingeorge@msn.com.