Re: Fw: Cooling system

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Cooling system
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:08:19 -0400
At 11:06 PM 8/26/99 -0400, you wrote:

>The previous owner of my wife's 75 replaced the fan with one with two or
>three extra blades. No overheating. The AC can't keep the cabin cool, though

There are several reasons for this.

1. There is very little insulation on the floor boards of the car.  The
   solution is to insulate it, like Kim's article describes.

2. There is a problem with the air flow within the cabin of the Bricklin.
   There is NO way for any air to flow through.  This causes a positive
   pressure in the cockpit and the air stagnates.

3. The AC and heater boxes DON'T align.  Consiquently, the air flow for
   the AC is reduced by over 50%, so the AC can't really cool the car.
   Terry has made new brackets for the AC box to let it align with the heater
   box and increase the air flow to the cooling coils and into the cabin.

4. There is a problem getting the hot air out from under the car.  This is
   why Bob Hoffman has his mod of putting vents at the rear of the front
   fenders.  Terry is working on a different solution to get a better air
   flow through the eng. compartment and get the hot air to exit from under
   the car.

5.  Do you have headers?  There is a heat shield tape that you can wrap the
    headers and the exhaust pipes with to keep the heat in the pipes and
    let it exit out the rear instead of heating the fiberglass firewall and
    floor boards.  As these heat up, the heat is transfered into the cockpit.
    (Again, here the insulation on the inside of the firewall and floor pan
    WILL be a big improvement).

6.  Have you had your AC system checked and or serviced lately?  There are
    several reasons that the AC may NOT be putting out what it can.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org