Air leaks

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Air leaks
From: Isensee@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:06:17 EDT
I finally tracked down a difficult to find air leak and thought I should let
the group know about it in case anyone else runs into the same thing. The
leak turned out to be in the air pressure regulator. It wouldn't show up as
bubbles when I spread soapy water because it wasn't a point source. The air
could leak out all around the knob on the regulator.

The way I finally located the leak was to put a small amount of freon into
the air tank then pump up the pressure with air and search with a freon
detector. I found the leak quickly that way. It is much easier than the soapy
water technique regardless where the leak is.

J.C. Whitney sells freon leak detectors starting at about $130. I imagine
some tool rental places carry them too.

Scott Isensee