Re: Help With Dash Lights

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help With Dash Lights
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:56:45 -0400
At 07:27 AM 8/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I need some help.  I have no dash lights now.  I took apart the dash and have
>power in the grey (maybe green??) wire that comes from the Headlight switch
>(that I believe to be the dimmable dash lights that John Blair refers to in
>s-lights-2.gif) but I have no power in the white wire (in c-dash.gif -
D2)(the
>one on the 6 wire connector in the dash).

Jamie,

  Check and see if you have any voltage to the wire wound resistor on the
headlight switch.  There are several switches on that one (headlight) switch.
I'm pretty sure, that you should have 12V at one end.  Then was you turn the
knob, the wiper will sweep the resistor and drop the voltage to dim the
lights.
Also, if you go all the way to one end, you should feel (hear) a click.  I
think this turns dome light on and gives you full bright on the insturment
lights. But I'm not sure.

The only 2 problems that I can think of are:
1. No 12V to one end of the wire resistor - consiquently no power for the dash
   lights.
2. A dirty, broken, or bad rivit on the wiper arm that slides on the wire
   resistor so no power take off for the dash lights.
3. Possibly a broken wire.

There is a 6 pin connector (my D1) at the dash board.  That should have the
supply power for the dash lights.  You could disconnect that and then try
to jumper some power to the white wire going to the dash lights:
1. get a 10 Amp fuse - or a 5 to 10 amp circuit breaker and connect an
   aligator clip to each end.
2. connect one aligator clip to 12V from some place on the car.  BE VERY
   CAREFUL OF THE OTHER END NOW AS IT IS HOT!!!!!
3. Take a paper clip - or something similar - and stick it in appropriate
   hole in the dash plug.
4. touch the free end of the hot aligator clip (after the fuse) to the
   paper clip.  If the dash lights come on, then you either have a broken
   wire between there and the headlight switch, or NO power at the headlight
   switch.

Keep us posted.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org