Fw: BIG West 99

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: BIG West 99
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:44:40 -0500
>The fiberglass/acrylic skin on my car seems to collect dirt rather
>quickly, even though I always park it in the carport?  Is this
normal?
=======
Since it's plastic, I suppose it could have some mild static charge
depending on the climate, but that's a bit of a stretch.

There's plenty of dirt in the air. My black car and truck collects a
fine layer of dust within hours of cleaning while sitting in an
enclosed garage. I use a wax impregnated car mop to wipe it off
before and after driving. The Bricklin gets dusty just sitting under
an unsealed car cover.
=======
>Are there any products that would help slow down accumulation of
dirt
>that would not damage the acrylic skin?
=======
Evan's, or equal, anti - static spray would help if this is the
case. Spraying a car regularly would be expensive and leave it
slightly dull looking.
=======
  What product should I use to
>restore the body's original color?
=======
First off, you can't really 'restore' it per se. It's a part of the
plastic. All you can do is scrub off the oxidized surface. Unlike
paint, the plastic will 'opaque' under the surface to the point of
changing colors on darker cars.

The acrylic is basically the same as that used on plastic bathtubs,
so any chemical for cleaning them will work just fine. I've used
Plasti-Sheen in the past to good effect. For adding an extra fine
polish, I use 3M's Finesse-it II. Finish up with a good quality
sealer. I prefer Liquid Glass.

GM