Re: Fuel pump

To: bricklin@autox.team.net, Isensee@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel pump
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 23:33:04 PST
Ahh,
The year, 1970.  The place, Sparks, Nevada (next to Reno).  The car, an
old beater Ford pickup, if I remember right. The idiot, a kid who used
to work for me.  The scenario, his fuel pump started to leak. The
solution, he plugged up the hole with a sliver of wood.  The interim
result, well he drove for a couple of days (maybe a week) and finally a
mixture of oil and gas started to come out of his dipstick tube.  The
solution, in front of my business and into the gutter, he drained the
oil-gas mixture.  The ultimate result, well the mixture drained for the
better part of a city block, right in downtown Sparks until a passing
motorist threw a cigarette into the gutter.  Whoom, the block lite up,
but the culprit's car was long gone.  The moral,  don't plug up that
hole -- but if you don't there is no real issue with gas in the oil. By
the way, the kid who did this, about 4 months later, got his parents to
buy him a superbeetle.  So far, that is the only stock car that I have
seen in real life, that actually popped a wheely!  Boy that guy
distroyed that car using it as a dune buggy in the Nevada desert when it
was about 1 month old.  Kim

>The fuel pump on my '75 Bricklin started spraying gas out the vent
hole. I
>replaced it. Anyone know if it is likely that any gas has gotten into
the oil?
>The guy at the local parts store thinks the fuel pump has a seal which
should
>have kept the gas from getting into the oil even if the diaphragm tore.
The