Fw: Ball Joints / Tie Rods

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Fw: Ball Joints / Tie Rods
From: tbenvie@bu.edu (Thomas M. Benvie)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:20:39 -0400
As an auto shop teacher for the last 20 years, I have to agree with the
person who said have a pro do it.  There are many things a novice can do to
a car, but the ball joint should not be one of them.  C-clamps, chains,
etc. are an accident waiting to happen, especially to the unexperienced.
You are really not going to save a whole lot of money having someone else
do the job.  And it is not simply a matter of taking tie rods off and
putting them back on again.  And a torch should NEVER be used on a front
suspension component as it will surely weaken it.

The van coming in the opposite direction of you whne the suspension fails
may be my wife and kids.  It is not worth the risk to do it yourself if you
don't know what you are doing.

Thomas M. Benvie
5 Sachem Rock Ave.
East Bridgewater, MA 02333