RE: 86 Econoline as donor vehicle

Subject: RE: 86 Econoline as donor vehicle
From: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 11:28:34 -0400
Phil,
   I am glad that I was giving correct advice.
   Good luck in finding yourself a wrecked T-Bird.  Sounds like it would
work well though.   OR the best solution would be a wrecked Lightning
Truck because it has a nicely tuned 351 Windsor with the EFI setup with
a Heavy Duty AOD ( I think that it is refered to as an AOD-E) trans.
(only no IRS)  ...but then you are talking high$
   Anyone know of a 5.0 EFI conversion in a Brick?  I have considered it
many times myself having seen 5.0 EFI conversions in just about
everything from 1950's trucks, Mazda Miatas (called Monster Miatas), and
even in a 12 second Lincoln Town Car - Yes a 4500 lb. 400+ hp.
supercharged Lincoln Town Car. (I actually know this guy reasonably
well).  I think that a Bricklin is due...

                                                Jamie O.

Well, I called the SVO tech hotline yesterday to talk about the
suitability
of my dad's 86 5.0 van, and they echoed Jamie Olenick's comments:

        1) The EFI system isn't worth it because it's speed-density and
won't be
able to work with anything other than a stock 5.0 (as opposed to a
fire-breathing 5.8)
        2) The AOD tranny, with a shift kit, should be just fine up to
the power
levels I'm shooting for (about 350 at the crank), but they recommended
that
when I'm having the shift kit installed, the newer (I think it was
introduced in 89) cooling fix should be applied.

I've decided that it's not worth the hassle for just the tranny.  I
think a
wrecked 89 5.0 T-bird would make a much more suitable donor since the
EFI,
transmission (AOD or 5-speed), and IRS would all be there...

--
Phil Martin                             pmartin@isgtec.com
"Art disappoints me when it is too little like life,