Bad gas solution

To: Bricklin List Server <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bad gas solution
From: "William H. Whitney" <bill-whitney@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 17:09:50 -0400
Hi, everyone...

Well, all my theories on bad gas in my tank were incorrect. It's not bad
gas; nor is it a defective gas gauge; nor is it a rusted hole in the
feed line that goes through the tank (our best guess). We pulled the
tank and found is had plenty of gas --- also, plenty of water and plenty
of rust; the latter two as a result of the car sitting with a half tank
of gas for five years. We assume what is happening is that the rust is
being sucked into the sock at the end of the feed tube in the tank and
clogging it up, thus starving the carburetor. When new gas is added,
somehow that situation is relieved for a short period until rust is
again sucked in.

A complete cleansing of the tank and replacement of the feed tube and
sending unit would be sufficient except that the tank is rusted so bad,
we feel it's best to start from scratch with a new tank, sending unit,
fuel filter, etc.

Word to the wise: If storing a car, follow John Blair's storage tips in
the January 1998 issue of _Brickline_, one of which is to keep the tank
full and add fuel stabilizer.

Thanx for the discussion on this topic... Bill.

--
William (Bill) H. Whitney, VIN #624 (and mint condition Orange Mini-B
#37 for sale to best offer over $1,600)
Owner, Micro Business Applications, dBase/Clipper/FoxPro consultant