Value of a Brick

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Value of a Brick
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:04:57 -0400
Riley, et al.

   For starters, I guess I should not have been pounding the keys for
the last several days.  I'm sitting here with a migraine headach and some
good drugs.  So my thoughts and words may not be the same and I'm not
sure about what I'm reading.

   People are talking about getting ripped off.  Well as someone pointed
out, "Buyer Beware".  How true.  But playing with these cars is like
playing the stock market.  If you're in it for the long haul, you'll be
ok.  However, if your in it for the short term, get rich quick, you'll
probably loose money.

   I paid $3,000 for my car.  It was missing the complete interior, the
door skins, carb, and all the door opening mech.  So far I have $9,000 in
it, and still need at least $3,000 to finish it.  I've owned it for almost
10 years now and never driven it!  In fact I've only driven one and that
was about 10 years ago.  Am I crazy?  Yes!  Did I get taken?  Probably.
If I knew then what I know now about these cars, I sure as hell wouldn't
have given $3,000 for it.  But I can't cry over spilt milk.  I wanted
it and I paid it.  Hopefully when I finish it, it will be my daily
driver, and I'll recoupe my money.  Plus I enjoy working on this stuff.

   When I'm done, I'll have say $12,000 in it.  I could have spent $8,000
or more on one when I bought mine.  But being me, I'd still have wanted
to restore it.  So I'd still have put most of money into a car that I've
put into this one.  So in the long run, I'll come out slightly ahead.

   Again, I'm not expecting to make money with my car, I want to drive
it, and enjoy it and have reliable transportation.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V