Re: Bricklin Performance...

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bricklin Performance...
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 16:37:53 -0400
At 11:25 AM 9/30/97 -0500, S.G.Schiro wrote:

>The car is heavy, but does provide superior occupant protection.  Unless
>you are prepared to rebuild the frame with high strength-to-weight,
>chrome moly tubing, the only way to overcome the weight is to increase
>engine performance.  This isn't all that difficult.  You would be
>advised to upgrade the brakes as well, i.e. disks all around.  Some
>additional frame bracing is necessary to overfcome the inherent
>limitations of a ladder frame.  The shock towers are far too free to
>flex.  However, this can be overcome without too much difficulty,
>espeially if you are doing a frame off restoration.  Handling can also
>be greatly improved at rreasonable expense.  You'll never get the
>nimbleness of a light two seat sports car, but it can be quite good and
>fun to drive.  It all depends on how much money and time you are
>prepared to spend.

This is not directed at George, but....  All this talk in generalities.
I know about the disk brakes in the rear, and I've seen some info from
Terry Tanner on a tower brace kit he sells.  I also know that a Holly
carb and a little more cam helps a lot!  And the 74's are better off
with 75 front coil springs.

What are some of the other mods that you all have done to improve the
bread?

John

But  Schiro

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire