FW: 2212 is back!

To: bricklin
Subject: FW: 2212 is back!
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 05:12:24 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE bricklin@autox.team.net:    Non-member submission from [iaronson
<"iaronson@epix.net"@epix.net>]]

     Date: Mon, 01 Jan 1990 02:30:52 -0500  [What???]
     From: iaronson <"iaronson@epix.net"@epix.net>
     Subject: 2212 is back!

We picked up 2212 from Terry this past Friday, June 6.

It looks great but there are some problems. As all bricks, ours runs
hot. About 70 miles from Terry's shop, just after dark, of course, it
overheated after starting to ping and losing oil pressure.

Fortunately we had cell phones, a CB radio and a Conversion Van as a
"chase car." After calling the AAA a few times we popped a movie into
the VCR and watched while waiting. An hour later, with still no contact
from AAA we got on the CB and a passing trucker gave us a better idea of
our location. With that we called AAA again and shortly a service truck/
roll back was with us operated by as decent a person as you could ever
hope to meet, with 2212 being driven up the ramp on its own (cooled
down) power. With only 3400 miles on the odometer that was probably as
long a trip as that car has had under its own power!

We followed our new friend back down Route 81 to exit 205, Vesuvius,
VA.... and checked in to the local Days Inn for an unscheduled
overnight.

Our roll back owner operator, Gwinn, of Auto Parts and Service of
Vesuvious knew we wanted to get back home and he offered to take a look
at the car that night if we would follow him to his garage. We accepted
his kind offer and off we went....it was about midnight.

With the hood up and the engine a bit cooler we searched for broken
hoses to no avail. We collectively decided that the thermostat must have
stuck closed. An easy and painless fix.

About three quarters of an hour later, with a new "stat," and a quick
repair of a leaky gas line due to worn clamps which we discovered while
under the hood, it was time for a test ride. My partner, David, fired up
2212 and let it run for a while....the temp guage held steady at about
180 so it was time for a spin. Gwinn, a car collector too, asked if he
could go, he had never been in a Brick before. I stayed behind to watch
th store which was storing an '85 'Vette, a mid 1960s GMC truck and a
1954 Buick Special. We had stumbled into a kindred spirit.

The test drive went fine and we felt secure that the problem was solved.
With a quick call home to let my wife know what we were up to, we said
our thanks, paid the bill and headed back to the Days Inn to catch a few
hours sleep before the 250 mile trip home.

We were on the road by 6:00 a.m. comfortable that the balance of the
trip would be uneventful and easier in the daylight. Wrong again! About
40 miles north on route 81, near Harrisonburg, VA the pinging started
again, with the temperature guage rising again to dangerous territory
and a bit or a drop in oil pressure it was time to pull over again.

We got off the exit and pulled into a restaurant to contemplate our
situation and eat (we never miss a meal). After much discussion and
breakfast we tried to reach Terry for advice but had no luck. We then
decided that our best course was to call our old friend Gwinn in
Vesuvious to see if he and his roll back cared to make a trip to
Harrisburg, PA. We did and he did.

An hour or so later, 2212 was back at home on the roll back and we were
on our way.

When we got home we called Terry to let him know what had happened and
to get some advice. As always he was reassuring and helpful.

Now we're ready to take it to the radiator shop and deal with cleaning
out the cooling system properly and while we're there probably getting a
new water pump just to be on the safe side.

Now we need to get Terry again. The compressor for the Air Door system
he installed for us is not working for some reason. Its likely a small
problem, a fuse or some such thing, but I'm not sure and its Sunday so
he is not available. I don't have a wiring diagram thus I will wait
untill tomorrow.

Any thoughts, friends??? Just another day in the life of a Bricklin
owner.

Best to all,

Irwin