Re: [Bmcu] TR3 compression test

To: "'Jeremiah Curry'" <jercurry@comcast.net>, <bmcu@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [Bmcu] TR3 compression test
From: "Ron Christensen" <ron.christensen@wsapr.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:12:30 -0600
Hi Jeremiah,

You may be getting a compression ratio that will not be happy with today's
low octane fuels. Since you did not cc the head you would only be guessing
at the new compression ratio.  I usually see about 160 psi on a race motor
with about 11:1 compression ratio. My current Sprite has about 10:1 and I
have a problem trying to run straight premium from the pump.  I go to the
airport and pick up 5 gallons of LL100 ($5 a gallon) which I mix 50% with
premium no-led from the gas station and it works just fine.  (an added
benefit is the fact that I am introducing a little lead to the fuel which is
good for the valves and guides)  I also purchase race gas (leaded 110
octane) ($8 a gallon) and do the same mixture.  I have not had much success
with the so called "octane booster" additives.

If you hear any pinging or the dreaded death rattle you may be burning
pistons.  Check the plugs for signs of aluminum. A light dusting (white in
color) on the electrodes is actually your pistons finding a new home on that
set of champions you just installed. The best way to get an accurate plug
check is to do what is called a "clean shut off" which is accomplished by
turning off the engine after a few minutes on the highway and pulling over
and checking the plugs without doing any idling.  By the way, don't do this
if you have a "modern" car with locking ignition.  A friend of mine, the
late Miles Roberts did this at a race once in a "borrowed" 280Z (SSA car)
and added a 4" diameter steel pipe hood ornament as he was entering the
pits.  Headlight alignment was a serious problem after this modification
also.  The car's owner wasn't too pleased.

Ron Christensen