Antelope Is. Run SUNDAY May 7

To: <bmcu@autox.team.net>
Subject: Antelope Is. Run SUNDAY May 7
From: "Gary Lindstrom" <gary@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 12:56:00 -0600
The Island Drive
Sunday, May 7

No, British cars don't float. Lucky for us, there's an island that's close
to home, and it's connected to the mainland by the Davis County causeway.
Mark your calendar now--it's time for the annual Antelope Island drive, on
Sunday, May 7th. This is one of just a few Sunday events for the club. It's
a great drive, and a great excuse to get your car tuned up and ready for the
driving season.

Similar to last year, we'll take an anti-clockwise route around the island.
Here's the schedule for the drive:

    * 10:00 am: For BMCU'ers in the SLC area, gather at the state capitol,
in the north side parking lot, at 10:00 am on Sunday, May 7.
    * 10:30 am: Leave the capitol and head north, by way of Victory Road,
and onto I-15 NB to Layton, where we'll get off at exit 335 (Antelope
Drive). Watch for the brown signs directing you to Antelope Island State
Park.
    * 11:00 am: If you live in Davis county, or other parts north of SLC,
meet us west of the Burger King on the NW corner of the intersection of
Antelope Drive and Main Street in Layton. That's just past the second light
west of I-15. If you left the house in a hurry and didn't pack your lunch,
buy it here, before you get to the island. There's only one food
establishment on the island, so it's best to take a lunch with you.
    * 11:30 am: Westward ho! out to the island. If you missed us at the two
meeting points along the way, just remember that once you're on Antelope
Drive, stay on that road and head west until you reach the Great Salt Lake.
You can't miss it.

Once we cross the causeway, we'll head past the marina, bear to the left and
head over to the Garr Ranch for lunch. There's shade and picnic tables
there, and the Ranch is an interesting look into a 100-plus-year-old working
ranch with a house, barn, bunkhouse, blacksmith shop, and old equipment.
Plus, you'll get a bit of a history lesson in the form of a Great Salt Lake
trivia contest.

The drive to and from the ranch is a wonderful, twisty road that's way fun
in a little Brit car. Keep a look out for buffalo, deer, and who knows,
maybe even the island's namesake antelope.

After lunch, we'll head back toward the main road, then go to Buffalo point,
past the beaches, and the visitor's center. After we stop at the visitor's
center, we'll head home.

What to bring: Bring a picnic lunch, drinks, and $8 per car for the causeway
fee that goes to Davis County to pay for the causeway maintenance. Also,
it's been known to rain on us, so don't forget your rain jacket just in
case!

If you need more information, call Nathan Massie at 801-486-2935, or call
the Antelope Island information line at 801-773-2941.

So get that car ready....and see you on Sunday!