Help! Canister fills with gas

To: bmcu@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! Canister fills with gas
From: "DOW SHIRLEY" <dowshirey5499@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:49:45 -0600
Well, I'm so close to being back on the road I can taste it!  However, I've
run into a snag and I was wondering if anyone out there in the BMCU might be
able to offer any advice/assistance.  Some background for review:  My '79
midget was in storage in Texas for the past 12 years.  I've been tinkering
with it since February to bring it back to life.  July 4th weekend I got it
started and idling nicely.  I wasn't able to drive it due to a clutch slave
being toast after the storage.

Now up to date:  On the 20th of Aug. I had replaced the slave cylinder and
got the thing bled (ick).  I was able to take a brief trip up and down my
block!  yea!  I took it out last weekend to "keep the juices flowing" so to
speak, I didn't make it 3 houses down when sputter...choke...die.  Got it
back to my driveway and my wife said, "there's something leaking from the
front."  Gas was dripping out of the forward evaporative canister.  I
connected a clear tube to the outlet that goes directly to the canister and
I can see it fill with gas soon after cranking over the engine.  One of my
"tinkering" projects I did was to drop the gas tank and give it a good
rinsing out, inside still looks nice and shiny.  I flushed the fuel lines
with denatured alcohol.  Replaced the rubber fuel lines and put a Fram G2
fuel filter inline just before the carb.

So here I am, so close and yet so far.  The carb is the original Zenith
Stromberg 150 (C3962).  I had Mike Bailey rebuild it back in June.  I assume
I'm dealing with an improperly adjusted and/or bad float (which Mike
replaced as well) or a bad valve.  I had a Grose jet installed and Mike left
it in when he rebuilt it.  I have a backup carb from a 78 midget which I
robbed of the older needle/seat valve.  After spending last Friday pulling
the carb off 3 times to adjust the float and failing each time, I put the
Grose back in and still I'm at the same place.  Shortly after the engine
turns over the carb floods the canister.

Has anyone out there had any experience setting the float?  Does anyone know
how to tell if a valve is bad?  I'm open to any suggestions, tips, tricks,
advice, etc.  I suppose if worse comes to worse I can take it back into
Mike, but I really want to learn to do this myself.  I'm hoping to make the
State Street cruise night.

Thanks in advance!

Dow