Re: wheel/tire questions

To: "Rob Lipton" <RLipton@prev.org>
Subject: Re: wheel/tire questions
From: "Kevin Stevens" <autox@pursued-with.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:02:36 -0700 (PDT)
>  Hi all,
>
> I have a friend with a car with alloy wheels where one is apparently
> bent, mishapen and the tire place says that this needs to be replaced to
> fix her slowly leaking tire, she has a full size steel spare, she
> apparently doesn't care whether this is really ugly looking, and wants
> to know if its okay to have the one steel wheel with the other 3 alloy
> wheels, clearly the steel wheel will mostly have a different weight, are
> there other concerns?
>
> thanks,
>
> Rob

It'll feel weird under braking and she may get some shudder and uneven pad
wear as the steel wheel has considerably more rotational momentum.  I'd
try to keep it on the rear - of course, I wouldn't do this in the first
place.  Did you/she try eBay or similar - depending on the car, used
wheels can cost less than the tire mount/remount itself?

KeS