RE: tire shaving services in bay area?

To: "Don L." <toy4speed@yahoo.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tire shaving services in bay area?
From: "Thana, Peter" <peter.thana@roche.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:23:49 -0700
The local places are very expensive.  Roger Krauss and Five Points both
quoted me around $200/set of 4.

If you don't already have the tires, here is where you can buy them and
have them shaved:

Bridgestone/Kumho/Yokohama:  TireRack
Kumho/Hankook:  Vilven Tire, Royal, IL sells and shaves.
Falken:  Purchase from Vulcan, drop ship to Vilven, they ship to your,
it's still cheaper and easier than doing it locally.

Vilven is one of the nicest businesses I ever worked with.  Anyone who
remembers the days when the Kumho truck and Mike Taylor went down to SD
Tour, that's them.  They don't have a website, but you can reach them at
(800)251-0017 and usually either Mike or Bob will answer.  I recommend
asking them for a rather straight cut, because they tend to round off
the edges too much if you don't.

If you need to drop ship Falkens from Vulcan to Vilven, call Vilven
first and tell them what you plan to send and note their shipping
address.  Then send the tires to yourself @ Vilven's address.  I
recommend calling your CC company to give them a heads up that you will
be shipping to an address other than your billing address, otherwise
there will be a minimum of 1 extra day delay for them to call and check
with you.

The total lead time for this process is about 2 weeks.

HTH,
Peter