Re: multiple Series with multiple personalities?

To: PAUL TIBBALS <pault151@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: multiple Series with multiple personalities?
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 08:41:42 -0700
On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 11:24:19PM -0700, PAUL TIBBALS wrote:
> I like the arrangement pretty well the way it is.

I agree.

>  Personally, I'd put a minimum two week gap between events, as
> during mid-season just SFR events tend to stack up pretty close
> together, not even counting Sacramento's.  We had six back to back
> weekends.  And some more coordination between SFR and Sac to reduce
> conflicts would be welcome in my opinion, because I have been
> running at both.

I think that our scheduling chief takes the sites whenever we can get
them.  The only way to remove conflicts with other series or not have
two events on consecutive weekends would be to drop events.  Besides,
there are at least two other series besides Sacramento that SFR
members also like to go to, AAS and Fresno.  If we dropped every event
that conflicted with another series, our own schedule would be pretty
sparse.

> And for what it's worth, the Atwater and Marina venues will no
> longer give that taste of National surface; the Club has decreed
> that the Finals will be at an asphalt site for years to come as I
> understand.  Atwater will still give that big grip potential but it
> won't specifically help prepare for Topeka, so there's one less
> reason for that venue.

I think Atwater may still aid with testing for Nationals.  The
pavement at Heartland Park isn't regular parking lot asphalt, but some
kind of fancy racetrack asphalt.  Second hand reports from some people
who were allowed to actually go out and "try it out" said that the
surface had very high grip.

Besides, the high grip and large area at Atwater make for some fun
courses and driving.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94