Re: ECU changes for ESP class?

To: Stacey <svwilbur@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: ECU changes for ESP class?
From: Kevin Stevens <autox@pursued-with.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:23:43 -0700
On Jun 12, 2005, at 21:37, Stacey wrote:

> I was wondering, does the following paragraph 15.9 in the 2005 Solo
> Rules book
> apply to ESP class and imply that you CAN change or reprogram your
> emmisions
> chip any way that you want, without restriction?  Sometimes reading
> the rules
> is hard for me to understand since it seems to redirect you all
> over the
> place.
>
> 15.9 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
>
> Vehicles may only exceed the allowances of 13.9 as specified herein.
>
> A. Any ignition setting, adjustment, or system may be used. A stock
> ignition
> sensor on a cam cover may be removed, and the hole may be plugged.
> This
> modification may serve no other purpose.
>
> I noticed that Stock 13.9 says:
> 13.9 D. No changes are permitted to electronic engine management
> systems or
> their programming.

15.1.B  "Street Prepared vehicles may only be modified in excess of
Stock Category rules in the following ways."

So you start with the Stock allowances, and then add the SP allowances.

> Or does 15.1 D disqualify this type of change?
>
> D. Alternate computer control modules may be used whenever an
> equivalent
> change to the conventional system is allowed. For example,
> alternate computer
> module control of ignition settings or fuel injection is allowed.
> Direct
> turbocharger boost control by alternate computer control is not,
> since there
> is no equivalent mechanical allowance.
>
> I do not understand what 15.1.D  is saying about "an equivalent
> change to the
> conventional system is allowed."

15.9.A "Any ignition setting, adjustment, or system may be used"...
15.9.C Lots of stuff about fuel management...
15.9.E "Emission control devices may be modified or removed."...
15.something will talk about transmission allowances (relevant if you
have an automatic with electronic control).

The rules were written around older vehicles with mechanical
ignition, fuel, emissions, transmission, and management systems.
15.1.D clarifies that for vehicles that have electronic control of
those systems, you can alter the electronic controls - but that
doesn't give you free reign to alter ANY ECU function, as the example
of turbo boost control illustrates.  Further, the rule that you
cannot make an illegal change to facilitate a legal one applies - so
if the only chip available for your car changes something not
permitted by SP rules, as well as a bunch of things that ARE
permitted - it would not be legal to use.  Obviously this varies
widely among vehicles and aftermarket products - it's up to you to
keep it legal.

> Thanks for any explanation that you can give.  My son Dan in ESP
> class (94
> 300zx) wants to change out his ECU chip and programming.  I wanted
> to make
> sure it would still fit ESP class if he did that.  Of course this
> depends on
> first fixing his current exhaust oil smoking problem.

Depends on what it alters.

KeS