Re: ST2? STS2?

To: Pat Kelly <lollipop487@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: ST2? STS2?
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:48:20 -0700
On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 11:53:40AM -0700, Pat Kelly wrote:
> I feel like I'm chasng my tail; where are the STS rules? I should have been
> clearer.

Ah!  The STS rules are section 14 in the 2004 Solo2 Rulebook.  But
there is a typo in the table of contents, and both sections 14 and 15
are titled "Street Prepared".

Jerry Moutons has the rules transcribed on his web site, although they
may not be totally up to date:

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/street_touring.html

John Kelly brought up STU, which is another class to add to the
ST-confusion.  It's essentially for over-achieving four-seat sedans
that are too formidable for STX.  Expected competitors are BMW M3
(E36/2nd generation), Audi S4, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Subaru
WRX STi.  STU was announced in the April FasTrack alongside STS2.

To simplify things, I made a chart of the current nationally
recognized or provisional (in parentheses) classes:

4-seaters: STS -> STX -> (STU)
2-seaters: (STS2)

STS: factory viscous limited slip or open differential only, no turbos
     except really wimpy ones
STX: Any differential allowed; AWD vehicles can only substitute one
     differential, turbos and larger engines allowed, wider maximum
     wheel and tire width
STU: Even larger engines allowed, wider maximum wheel and tire width

I think that the STAC ultimately plans to have a 4-seat and 2-seat
version of each class, so there may be an STX2 (2nd/3rd generation
Miatas?) and STU2 (Corvettes and Porsches?) someday.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94