How accurate are our timers?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: How accurate are our timers?
From: "Richard Urschel" <osp13@mybluelight.com>
Date: 28 May 2004 19:03:06 -0000
How accurate are our timers?

Having made no changes to my car for the past 18 months, and having
concentrated exclusively on driving during that period, I have finally
developed a consistent ability to duplicate runs within a tenth.  However, it
still seems that in at least 1 out of every 25 runs the time is inexplicably
faster or slower than expected by 3 tenths or more.

Unless our timing software confirms a trip on both the front and rear wheels
the perceived time discrepancy may be due to intermittent failures of the
timers to consistently trip. There would be no other indication of this unless
the timer failed to trip on both the front and rear wheels at either the start
or finish.  A 1 in 50 intermittent failure rate would only cause this once in
every 1250 runs, but would fail to trip on the front wheels only at either the
start or finish in 1 out of 26  runs.

So, does anyone know if our timing systems confirm a double trip at the start
and finish or do they just accept what they get while rejecting any additional
trips for a half second or so afterwards? Are the lights even capable of
resetting and retripping in two tenths of a second?

Sign up for Internet Service under $10 dollars a month, at
http://isp.BlueLight.com