Smart Cones

To: "Bay Area AutoX List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Smart Cones
From: "Scott & Charlotte Miller" <bimmerdogs@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:44:41 -0700
BMW CCA Golden Gate Chapter autocross timing guru John Bolhuis sent me
this link.

John's comments:

"All cars will now run in the same class, and the cones will move in
for the faster cars, thus leveling the playing field."

In our ensuing discussion, we envisioned a self-righting option, and
the smart cones would automatically send a radio signal to the timer
to add the time penalty for each cone knocked over.  Furthermore, no
more driving around in the truck tossing out cones.  Just line them
all up at the edge of the competition area and have them position
themselves based on the pre-determined computer simulation.  At the
end of the day they would return themselves to the truck or trailer
for loading.

Alas, even at the anticipated reduced price of $200 each (excluding
options), these are about 40x what we currently pay for cones, give or
take.

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA