Been "Hoosiered" lately?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Been "Hoosiered" lately?
From: jplotkin37@netzero.net
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:31:52 GMT
Or the alternate title to this story... "Bad things happen to good tires." I
arrive at the Pro event in Atwater, and the Hoosier trailer at 5:30pm Saturday
and am greeted by a Hoosier-uniformed fellow with, "Hi, what can I do for you?"
"I corded a couple tires, so I need a new set" says I. The guy says, "I'm all
packed up... come back at 7:30 tomorrow morning." I reply, "But, I'm in the
first run group..." He says, "Well, come back at 7:30am, and we'll see what we
can do." Ugh! At this point in the conversation, this guy has no idea that I'm
coming from Stockton and the Sacramento Cup series there. What if I was a Pro
entrant? Doesn't he know the first car out on Sunday is at 8:00am? In my
opinion, he should set up by 6:00am. So, I ask if he'll simply sell me a set,
then I'll try to find someone to mount 'em. He asked the size, then says, "Aw,
s--t, those are all the way at the front of the trailer!" By now, I'm getting
the distinct impression I'm taking up a bit too much of his time. I get
absolutely nowhere with this guy. I have $800 cash, and that's still not gonna
budge him off his butt. Tough job he has. Gets to work all day in the shade.
Oh, wait... aren't the Hoosier guys there to sell tires? So, I take my Sunday
runs in Stockton on street tires so I won't miss a start and lose those points
for the series. The point I'm making here is this. While the "other guys" are
having trouble with their "710's", now is the perfect opportunity for Hoosier
to build stronger customer relations with us moron autocrossers(speaking for
myself, here)who don't have several spare sets with them at all times. Being
the only game in town doesn't make it okay to get all arrogant and confident
you have a captive customer base. Hopefully, my teammate and I won't need to
rely on those same guys for help at the Atwater National Tour. I know of other
competitors who have been "Hoosiered" so, if enough of us take the time to let
Hoosier know when they really drop the ball, maybe they'll get the message.
Thanks for listening, and good luck to all at the Atwater National Tour.

Jim Plotkin, 99csp Miata (aka, 37csp Miata)