Re: 92 miata ignition problems .... final chapter

To: james@thevenom.net, charles@transnationalwest.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: 92 miata ignition problems .... final chapter
From: ERito@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:22:43 EDT
Thanks to all of you for your input. The final resolution is as follows.

Problem started out as a bolt thru the timing belt housing during an auto x
event. Terrible noise from the bolt head rubbing against the belt. some people
thought is was a new super charger noise.

Pulled the bolt thru the hole in the cover like a dentist would pull a tooth.

took the car in for a new timing belt and also a smog test. we found that the
key way at the collar for the crank shaft pulley was starting to wear out. so
we replaced it also. reset the cams and the car flunked the smog test as a
gross polluter. it also had a 01 error code in the computer and that is when we
replaced the igniter. the mechanic got it to pass smog with some magic but it
did not run well at idle.

Jim was on the right track about checking the vacuum. But we had not done
that yet, we replaced the cam angle sensor and the car still ran bad at idle
only
to 1200 rpm.

we then checked the vacuum and found it was lower than expected at idle and
somewhat erratic. The mechanic then decided that maybe the valve timing was
off. he rechecked the marks and found that it was off and now the car runs
fine.
The mechanic ate the extra diagnostic time since he was the one that goofed
on the valve timing.

Again thanks for your input.  I hope this will help someone else out in the
future.
We should have checked the vacuum earlier since it was such a simple test.

I now have a good 92 miata cam angle sensor for sale !!!!!

Ed rito
92 miata
46 cps

210k smiles