Re: Places for repairing a cracked wheel

To: "ba-autox Bay Area AutoX" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Places for repairing a cracked wheel
From: "Scott & Charlotte Miller" <bimmerdogs@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:11:21 -0800
Noel, I had my Fittipaldi wheels powder coated a couple of years ago.
Here is what I learned while researching wheel repair/refinishing
shops.  (Copied and pasted from a Word doc I saved.)  Sorry this is
not more South Bay-oriented.

My summary of Bay Area wheel re-finishing options, circa 2001/2002:

There are shops that specialize in wheel repair AND refinishing, and
there are other options if you only need them refinished but not
repaired.

Repair and Refinishing:

Wheels America, Union City - $109 per wheel regardless of how much or
how little work your wheels need, unless you have "highly polished"
wheels, which are more.

Wheel Techniques, Campbell - I didn't go there for a quote, but the
word is that they do excellent work, but are very expensive.

Pacific Rim, Pittsburg - Willing to work with you to determine the
best finish and methods for your wheels, but more expensive than
Wheels America.

Rite Way Wheels, Walnut Creek - specializes in chrome and highly
polished wheels.  Despite comments from former customers, he told me
he does not really want to do other types of finishing.

Gesick Welding (not local) - will re-paint wheels AFTER he repairs
them, but does not want to refinish wheels he does not repair.

Ultimately, I only needed refinishing, not repair, so I went to All
Pro Powder Coating in Pittsburg, CA.  Their price of $65 per wheel
(for my 1 piece 15x7 Fittipaldi wheels with center covers) was $5 per
wheel more than West Coast Powder Coating in Concord, but All Pro gave
me more color selections.  Their work was about as good as one might
expect for the price - near perfect.

HTH,

Scott Miller

GGC BMW CCA

1990 325i

>Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 00:16:33 -0800
>From: "Noel E. Esporo" <pr0file@pacbell.net>
>Subject: Places for repairing a cracked wheel
>
>Hey everyone,
>
>I have a crack in one of my street wheels and was wondering if anyone
knew
>of any place (preferably in the south Bay) that fixes alloy wheels. I
know
>there was a posting a while back, but I didn't need it at the time.
Prices