re:

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:09:18 -0800
Joe said,
    From: Joseph Weinstein <joe@bea.com>
    Subject: What's the U.S. epicenter of autocross?

    Does anyone know where in the U.S.A. are the most autocrosses (not just
SCCA)
    are held? I'd guess it was either in the S.F. area or the L.A. area, but
    I'm just guessing.

Well, it depends on lot on how you define "where".  David Avard, an
accomplished 'crosser who's now in the Heartland said that within 120 miles of
his place he can have thirty weekends a year with autocross events.  So I sat
and looked at our Schedule, including Sacramento, Fresno/Atwater clubs, non
SFR events, and between our Series, our Slush, and American Auto-X (or NASA-X
if they get their boat started again) I found close to fifty, a few less if
you subtract weekends where there are really two different ones running.  Such
as the Tour and Sacramento having competing events soon.  And this did not
count ProSolo.  That is "within" 90 miles from San Ramon, which sneaks in both
Atwater and Sacramento, not even having to go the 120 miles that David does.

I'd say that if you're willing to drive a little, that makes our Region pretty
awesome.  Tradeoff is that you have to drive 1-1/2+ hours to Atwater, 3-4 to
Reno, and 8 to San Diego, to get a Tour event.

PaulT