helmets

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: helmets
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:51:21 -0700
I'll second Cycle Gear.  Good selection.  I went to the Hayward store on
Mission but bought my previous Shoei at the South Bay store.  For the average
autocrosser (non-open car, not going to need it for road racing) a motorcycle
helmet is often somewhat cheaper, prettier if you like, and can even be used
on a motorcycle!  They're often a tad more aerodynamic as well for bike use if
that applies.

As a closet biker I'll say that SA ("autosports") helmets are usually
inelegant, and often have significantly smaller viewports.  I shopped the Bell
distributor in Oakland.  The Snell M ("motorcycle") helmets were a good
compromise, and I'm not worried about the small alleged margin of protection
in the repeated-banging-against-the-rollcage situation where SA helmets are
designed to have an edge.  I had fit problems with the SA helmets that I
tried, not to mention a little claustrophobia when I couldn't hardly get my
glasses through the port.  For me fit is #1 and I'd never buy a helmet
mailorder, the fit is just too critical to comfort.

OTOH, Bell Motorsports _is_ an advertiser in SCCA pubs and did have a great
selection of SA helmets.
3227 14th Avenue
Oakland, CA 94602
Phone: 510-536-2355
Fax: 510-261-2355
Orders: 800-669-BELL (2355)

Some helmets, even less South Bay unfortunately, are also available at I/O
Port in Lafayette, a very nice guy with a lot of SCCA time in IIRC and also a
local SCCA advertiser.   You should call to schedule a drop-by as he's moving
his storefront, 1-800-949-5712.  Old place is conveniently located just off of
Hwy 24 just past Orinda.

PaulT