re: Peugeot 505 Turbo

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Peugeot 505 Turbo
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:39:48 -0700
Hah, just learnt that some of the owners refer to their cars as Pugs.  Nice.
At least as catchy as Turbobrick (Wo-wos).

Speaking of Volvos, this car's specs are pretty darn close to, say, the Volvo
turbos, which had 2.1 or 2.3L, IIRC 150-180 HP, rear drive, 6" wide wheels and
similar weights and accelerations.  Found ONE reference on the Net with 505
performance numbers, in Finnish, but "0-100 Km/H  8.4" somethings was clear
enough....  And the Volvos are G-Stock.  Peugeot had a more sophisticated
suspension than most Volvos with its IRS, but most pics I found show the
Peugeots heeled well over which also reminded me of my Volvo (pre-sway bars at
least).

The 505 Turbos were reviewed well, being a nicely sporting sedan, but Peugeot
was getting ready to pull out of the American market.  This of course does not
negate John's good point about when it's not actually classified.  One of
those problems that comes with a low-production car at least as far as import
numbers are concerned.  That must just be an oversight by SCCA, the few owners
remaining haven't brought it to their attention.  Berkeley being what it is, I
believe that I even know where a 505 T is parked - Home to Cars Which Are
Statistically Dead is how a friend once put it.  Within three long blocks from
my gal's house I can lay hands on that 505 T, a Citroen SM, and a Maserati
Merak!!  Not to mention the one gent with 3 Porsche 944-class cars in front of
his house.  Heck, my SHO looks like a mass market car with its historical
production of ~100K cars, by comparison.  Though it attracts the same sort of
folks, those who will keep a spare around for when the first one wears out.

PaulT               www.BaySHO.org