Emailing: 7247212p-8174165c Atwater Motorsports Park

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Emailing: 7247212p-8174165c Atwater Motorsports Park
From: "Jim Martin" <james_martin@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:11:02 -0700
Modbee.com | The Modesto Bee

                 Home Delivery   |   News   |   Classified   |   Cars   |
Jobs   |   Homes |   Apartments   |   Site Help

                              HOME

                              ARCHIVES

                              NEWS
                                Local News
                                State News
                                National News
                                World News
                                Obituaries
                                Births
                                License to Wed
                                Dissolutions of Marriage
                                School Info.
                                Oddly Enough
                                Mobile Edition

                              POLITICS

                              OPINION

                              OBITUARIES

                              WEATHER

                              SPORTS

                              LIFE

                              THE ARTS

                              BUSINESS

                              COLUMNISTS

                              GALLERIES

                              VALLEY MALL

                              CLASSIFIED

                              SITE HELP

                  Local Stories
                   Peterson defense experts examine remains of Laci, Conner

                   A mechanic's lien -- and you

                   It's ice work if you can get it, in valley

                   Costly water a subject for colleges

                   Cars at show like art in progress

                        Complete Index

      E-mail this story  Print this story  E-mail updates  Home Delivery of
The Bee

                  Atwater city council test drives plans for a motor sports
park

            By MIKE CONWAY
            BEE STAFF WRITER

            Published: August 6, 2003, 05:55:40 AM PDT

            ATWATER -- A 1,200-acre motor sports park with eight different
tracks got mixed reviews from the Atwater council members who liked the basic
idea, but worried about traffic.
            "I like your plan and proposal," Councilman Ed Abercrombie told
representatives of Riverside Motorsports Park. "But I want to see it further
along address traffic issues, because that will be a headache from Day One."

            Riverside representatives unveiled their plans during a special
meeting of the City Council on Tuesday afternoon. The council took no action,
but offered many opinions.

            The raceway is proposed for an area of land northeast of Castle
Airport Aviation and Development Center with entrances on Buhach, Fox and
Eucalyptus roads.

            Weekday concerts

            The park would have a 1/2-mile oval speedway, a 5,000-foot drag
strip, paved and dirt oval tracks, a 3-mile road course, motocross, go-kart
and off-road circuits. The raceway could handle BMX bike races, trucks, stock
cars, dragsters and motorcycles.

            "We look at this as a regional recreational center, not a motor
sports park," said John Condren, Riverside's chief executive officer.

            Condren said the park could hold concerts on weekdays, and would
draw people with its restaurants, an automotive-themed retail center and
children's play park.

            Investors already have put $10 million into the project over the
past three years, Condren said, and own the land for the proposed park. He
said when completed, the project would cost "in excess of $100 million."

            The plans call for races every weekend during the season that
typically runs from February through November. Those races are expected to
draw 15,000 to 20,000 people. Once a month, the track wants to host a larger
event, attracting close to 50,000 spectators.

            Condren said the developers don't have any contract with NASCAR,
the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing, but that could come. There
are other racing associations to use the tracks.

            "One of the biggest problems is 50,000 people," Abercrombie said.
"No road can handle that traffic."

            Condren said his organization realizes that traffic will be a main
point of concern. He said holding several events at once and staggering the
end of racing times would move cars out of the park evenly.

            Condren said he believes the group can get through the
environmental review process by February or March and begin construction
sometime in spring.

            "We've already determined there are no biological issues, no
endangered species, no Indian burial grounds," he said. The land has been
farmed for decades and would need to be rezoned by the county from its ag
designation.

            "I'm concerned about taking the land out of production," said
Councilwoman Jean Faul. "This is a major thing for us to approve, and I have
reservations. Shoot, we have traffic problems now."

            'Our little town'

            Councilman Gary Frago said: "I'm not convinced about your traffic
survey. You have not said how you will get traffic in and out."

            He said the city can't build more hotels and restaurants for the
weekend crowds. "We have no place to build.

            "I don't see Atwater benefiting that much on tax revenue," Frago
said. That benefit would go to surrounding communities.

            "It's our little town, and we're happy with it and we want to do
everything we can to improve it," Mayor Rudy Trevino said. "We want nothing to
destroy the serenity of our little Norman Rockwell village."

            Bee staff writer Mike Conway can be reached at 381-0208 or
mconway@modbee.com.

                 E-mail this story  Print this story  E-mail updates  Home
Delivery of The Bee

                        Today's Top Stories   Peterson defense experts examine
remains of Laci, Conner
                         Liberian leader resigns, arrives in Nigeria
                         U.S. troops raid northern Iraqi village; calm returns
to Basra

                        Sports   A champion's farewell: Venturini-Hock's last
game a perfect end to career

                        Business   Snail mail, maybe, but it's the shape of
things to come

                        Opinion   Despite recall, citizens still need to mind
the store

                        Oddly Enough   Judge accepts burrito-breath claim in
Nebraska case

     ADVERTISERS

            Copyright ) 2003 The Modesto Bee.  About The Bee | Advertise with
The Bee
           User Agreement | Parental Consent | Privacy Policy

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
modbee_logo.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
clear.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
namebar_inside.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
invisible.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
icn_arrow.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
icon_email.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
icon_printer.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
icon_notebook.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
icon_homedelivery.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
arrow_right.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
mcclatchy_logo.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which
had a name of
F.1-XeLvs?pageName=Atwater%20city%20council%20test%20drives%20plans%20for%20a%20motor%20sports%20park&server=Local&channel=Local&c1=Local%2Flocal%2Fstory%2F7247212p-8174165c.html&c2=_default&c3=Unknown&c4=modbee.com%20FTP&c5=Noscript5&c6=Noscript6&c7=Noscript7&c8=Noscript8&c9=Noscript9&c10=Noscript10]