Re: fast, cold

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: fast, cold
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@winchell.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:27:18 -0800
> In this case I'd say that this could also be taken as a comment on the
indexing system.

It's possible, but with all the time those guys spend on indexes, I would
have thought this would have been taken care of.

> But: if it's only "fast" you're tracking, what about the A Mods?

The only time Gary Milligan drives the Phantom on a non-local course is once
every other year at Nationals and the Seattle NT. Since no one has come
close to this car, I guess they don't need to any more national level event
seat time.<s>

> What is preventing someone with a slower car from getting the same
percentage of its maximum out of it consistently?

Perhaps the mind and the muscles aren't trained as well by cars where 90% of
the time, the gas pedal is on the floor.<s>

> OTOH, maybe it's just saying that people who have gotten really good at
National-level autocrossing, who typically would have large investments in
time and travel already, also >enjoy driving high performance machinery, and
more importantly can afford it.

There seem to be plenty of people with time to travel driving slower cars,
so I guess that just leaves a preference in good drivers for fast cars...
maybe the better drivers are bored with the lesser demands of slower cars. I
guess I still think faster cars train drivers better.