passing, passing, and passing

To: lomike@earthlink.net
Subject: passing, passing, and passing
From: "Richard Urschel" <osp13@mybluelight.com>
Date: 15 Feb 2003 07:47:08 -0000
On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:41:36 -0800 "M.J. Dunlap and Lolita M. Adrien"
<lomike@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Rich
>Were you passing on the inside or outside of the curve;-)))
Outside passing a rival also towing to the autocross! But on a divided highway
which isn't very interesting so I'll tell you a motorsports story I read a few
years ago.

I think this was Max Mosley, but I may be more than halfway between birth and
senility, so I won't guarantee it. Anyway, Max, or whoever it was, was on his
way to a career in F1 and landed a ride in the two car team that was completely
dominant in F2 that year, typically taking the front row and placing 1-2. Late
in the season Max had mechanical problems during qualifying and was a few rows
back while his teamate had the pole and ran off into the distance at the start.
After Max worked his way into second he set off to run down his teamate. Near
the end of the race after driving as hard as he could with absolute certainty
the car had nothing nothing more Jochen Rindt passed him on the outside to put
him a lap down.

Another Rindt and two Stewart stories:

I watched Jochen win his first Grand Prix at Watkins Glen in 1969. Jackie
Stewart was having to work really hard just to stay in touch and overstressed
his Cosworth early trying to keep up. I was there again in '73 arriving behind
the pits just after (unkown to me) Cevert was killed in practice. I have an
amazing picture of Stewart that I took before feeling death rays which turned
out to be coming from Helen standing at the back of the pits. Although not of
the same quality, it affects me the same way as the famuous Clark Photo. Such a
cruel sport. I also have some neat photos from atop the pits of Jackie and
Helen arriving for the start in their dapper retiree clothes. Anyone have a
clue how I might get them (unopened by others)to Jackie?

Youngsters: Rindt was posthumous world champion in '70.

Rich

Sign up for Internet Service under $10 dollars a month, at
http://isp.BlueLight.com