Re: Travel time to "big" events...

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Travel time to "big" events...
From: Ms Katie Kelly <aceontour@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:36:24 -0800 (PST)
>Nationals is something every serious
>autocrosser should do at least once if only to meet
>all the names you
>keep hearing, or hang out with your region buddies
>for a whole week.

It's worth doing once even if you're not serious, so
you can say you've been to Kansas.

>There are even tourist things to do in Topeka if you
>want to make a
>vacation out of it (though most wives will be sick of
>the whole autocross
>thing halfway through the week, especially if they're
>not competing).

Not just wives. It's torture for anyone, although when
you're a kid, the event itself isn't so bad, but the
trip stinks, and you can't wait for the next hotel
which BETTER have a swimming pool. I never ate so much
fried chicken. Once on site, and your parents become
so wrapped up in themselves and the competition, you
pretty much have free reign to do as you please, which
is why nationals was always a lot more fun for me as a
kid than as a competitor. It was "bigger" then.

But what do you do when you're an adult? It's not like
you can go playing in the dirt and simultaneously
command the type of respect you'd probably enjoy. It's
totally different. I once invited Gumbo Lambrusco (not
his real name) to nationals, probably close to six
years ago. Good grief. I should add that he is happily
married now to another woman, probably thanks to his
nationals experience. He kept frequenting the payphone
to call about work, because that was more interesting
to him than the autocross. Or maybe that WASN'T work
he was calling...

We spent four days in Elko once.

-Katie

--- Darren Madams <darren@madams.com> wrote:
> For some reason you will always end up in Elko,
> Nevada at some point in your trip (even if you take
> the Southern route).

=====
Katie Kelly

Guilt slows your metabolism.