suggestion to candlestick course designers

To: "Bay_Area_Autocross_List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: suggestion to candlestick course designers
From: "James Creasy" <james@thevenom.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:09:05 -0800
great course sunday.. fun to drive, easy to see with good variety of
technical and bells out sections.  =)

i do have one suggestion, and thats to put the fastest part of the course on
the flattest part of the lot or not pointed towards hard stuff... my
co-driver dick hit the bumps on the fast part and slide backwards past a
dumpster at 50 mph, giving me one hell of a pucker factor.  i feathered the
throttle through that spot and suggested he do the same his last run.

i think the main problem was you were going really fast when you got to the
bumps AND the course kinked at that point causing a car to be both going
fast and roughly headed towards the dumpster.   the distance a car will
slide at 70 mph is much much farther than at 20 mph, so where stuff is off
the course needs to be considered at a greater distance near the fast
sections.  another solution is to put the fastest part on a flatter section.

now, my car isnt a low-clearance wimp and i dont mind driving on the bumps,
thats not my point, im just saying that a big really bumpy section at 70 mph
is much more hazardous than the same bumps at 30 mph because the car can go
so much farther.

thanks,

-james