Re: Sociology-Lady Cobra Driver

To: "Ms Katie Kelly" <aceontour@yahoo.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sociology-Lady Cobra Driver
From: "James Creasy" <james@thevenom.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:38:22 -0800
> I don't understand why it's
> necessary for some to argue against an article that's
> merely presenting facts as facts.

because facts are presented in a male-oriented way.  instead of determining
how much strength is needed to race, say F1, she instead argues that some
women can be 'almost' as strong as a man.  she gives a definition of
femininity that includes "weakness" as a trait and "strength" as the male
characteristic.  she says motorsports "diminish(es) their femininity".
when she lists the ways that a male driver can be insulted, she says "wimp,
sissy, or girl", unintentionally indicating "girl" and "wimpy" and "sissy"
are the opposites to male traits and thus, female traits.

id use rich's reply as an argument why this article fails- its defensive
posture provokes backlash and negativism.  i agree with the author on many
of the reasons and details in her article, however she presents almost all
of them as if the DEFINITION of success (and of motorsports) is the bar set
by male achievements.  then, how do women fit into, and are encouraged or
discouraged by that definition.   defining her facts based on this
male-yardstick strengthens the premise that women are to be measured only in
comparison to men and perpetuates the male-oriented bias in our society that
contributes to all the negative forces she is describing.   the article's
title was "Women Drivers: A Sociologist's Perspective", but id suggest
"Non-Male Drivers: A Non-Male's Perspective". :)

-james

PS it is also kind of insulting that the racing pics used in the article
appear to be from computer simulated racing.