Re: Sociology

To: Rob Weinstock <weinstro@hotmail.com>, james@thevenom.net
Subject: Re: Sociology
From: Ms Katie Kelly <aceontour@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:50:23 -0800 (PST)
--- Rob Weinstock <weinstro@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I had trouble with the physical strength part, too.
> Afterall, aren't there
> many women in the mentioned age group that compete
> in gymnastics and tennis,
> two sports requiring a lot of strength and stamina?

I can tell you from first hand experience that an
argument used against women in racing is that they
lack the strength and stamina. I find this laughable
based on two examples you listed above, and my own
experience in competitive swimming, including long
distance open-water swimming, ultra marathon training
(I'm doing my first in March!) and soon even maybe
bike racing (and you're right, there are hardly any
women doing that!).

I was thirteen years old once. When I was thirteen, I
was encouraged to get off the bike and start wearing a
bra (I don't even need one now) and to start worrying
about what other people think of me. I was TAUGHT to
do this. Thank God, I know better now. I'm gaining
back my childhood, becoming one with the mud, and I
promise you, if my daughter wants a BMX bike, it's
hers, but only after I'm done with it.

What I see happening is you guys are nitpicking
irrelevent details to explain that she is WRONG, for
no real apparent reason. It's okay for you to do that,
but it's what I see you doing. You have no idea what
it's like to be a woman, so you do not really know
that she is wrong, when what I read is some simple
truth. You don't know how women think, either. You
don't know what it's like to be a girl in the 8th
grade. That's not your fault.

-Katie

=====
Katie Kelly