A newbie question about helmets ...

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: A newbie question about helmets ...
From: Ronald Phillips <metalgitar@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:09:58 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings,

I would like to compete (1st timer :)) in this weekend's Solo2 event at Golden
Gate Fields, and have a question about the acceptabilty of Snell rated helmets
for competition at SCCA events. - Apologies if I'm asking something that is
covered in a FAQ related to this list, but I couldn't seem to find one anywhere
- Anyway, I bought a new helmet recently, an HJC model FG-12, size XXXL, that
shows as Snell approved on their (www.smf.org) website, but does not have the
tag inside the helmet. The question is: - will this helmet be acceptable for
use in Solo2 competition? Should I print out the page and bring it with me that
shows the helmet as being approved? Or, does the helmet absolutley have to have
the Snell tag?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter. I'm really looking forward
to trying this type of racing; as an ex-drag racer, motorcycle racer, and
enduro go-kart racer, Autocross is something I've always wanted to try.

All best,

- Ron Phillips