Re: great school

To: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Subject: Re: great school
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:05:18 -0700
On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 02:33:43PM -0700, Michael R. Clements wrote:
> I'm realizing my only option is the pyrometer. . . And I'm glad I asked
> because otherwise I would have used sidewall treadwear as a guide and
> that could have been very BAD.

I'm wearing my way through my first set of Kumhos and have been
setting them so that the temperatures vary linearly across the tire.
The outboard edge is always warmer than the inboard edge and there's
not much I can do about that since I'm already at maximum camber.  But
the treadwear pattern I'm noticing is not quite even across the
tread.  There are four tread strips on the ECSTAs, and mine look like
this:

OUTSIDE
             ____
 ----____----    |
|                |
|                |

That's exaggerated in terms of depth of course, but the outer edge of
the 2nd tread strip is worn deeper than the inner edge of the 1st
(outboard) tread strip.  The outboard edge of the 1st tread strip is
of course the most worn part of the tire, but that isn't shown in my
sketch.

Is this normal wear for a V700 (ECSTA or Victoracer), or should I
change the inflation pressure, or what?

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94