Fwd: Huge Crowd for First Day of Open Testing at Karting

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Huge Crowd for First Day of Open Testing at Karting
From: Elmoizme@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 21:34:08 EST
Is the new kart course big enough to autocross on?

Elton
SM #68
From: drose@searspoint.com
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 16:45:47 +1600
Subject: Huge Crowd for First Day of Open Testing at  Karting Center
To: Elmoizme@aol.com

SONOMA, Calif. - The Sears Point Karting Center opened its doors on Monday for
its first-ever test day, and the Center was given a big thumbs up by all in
attendance.

More than 100 people made the trip to Sears Point Raceway for the
much-anticipated first laps around the 16-turn, three-quarter mile circuit.
Racers came from as close as San Anselmo in the North Bay, and as far as
Shingle Springs above Sacramento.

"This is just a great overall track," said Andrew Alfonso, a 19-year-old
Danville resident who is also a past national karting champion. "I've been to
about 40 tracks across the country and this place ranks No. 1 in terms of the
layout. This place exceeded my expectations."

Jimmy Moon, a 9-year-old from Shingle Springs, has been racing karts for four
years and has not seen a place like Sears Point.

"This place has long straightaways and it's pretty technical, too," he said.
"There are also places to pass at every turn. It's a pretty cool track."

The track is 28-feet wide and can be divided into six different configurations.
Some of the track highlights include an 850-foot sweeping straightaway, and
another 450-foot sweeping straightaway that leads into a challenging
combination of turns. The Center will also feature a scoreboard, two
transponder-timing systems and bleachers, as well as a kart maintenance and
storage center. The track, which was designed in part by Jim Russell
International Karting, was built to CIK/FIA standards. The Jim Russell School
is the  track operator.

"Today's turnout was beyond anything we could have imagined," said Ken Ude,
president of the Jim Russell School. "We thought maybe 30 people would come out
today but I bet there's more than 100, and they've had nothing but good things
to say."

Jon Fennell, 48, sold his Ducati motorcycle and Saleen street car to purchase a
kart and tow truck. He was running laps on Monday at Sears Point.

"I've been on a couple of different tracks and this is the premier circuit,"
said Fennell, from San Anselmo. "It's fast, challenging and fun. It's a blast
watching karting kind of take over the Bay Area."

The Sears Point Karting Center will feature its first weekend of open testing
April 6-7 from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Cost is $45 per day for open testing, or $450 per
year. For more information, visit www.russellracing.com.

To remove yourself from this system, please follow the link below:
http://searspoint.com/forms/optout.asp?dbname=searspoint&email=Elmoizme@aol.com
Thank You!