Re: Neck brace

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Neck brace
From: David Rowney <daver@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 08:47:51 -0800
I have used a neck brace with an open-face helmet, and a HANS with a closed
face.  Also before the HANS was developed (1991) I used a neck brace with a
full face.  With my open-face helmet the brace does limit side-side and
back motions, and would prevent my chin from hitting my chest.  I have no
medical training, BUT from what I've read in a severe forward crash a neck
brace would be of limited value in protecting the neck, regardless of
helmet.   That is why the HANS and other similar systems were developed.  I
would not do any track competition again without a HANS
(http://www.hansdevice.com/).

I use no brace for autocross, and see no need to use one.

Dave