Re: how close can rear spring freq be to front?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: how close can rear spring freq be to front?
From: dennisp@rahul.net (Dennis Scholer Pedersen)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 17:19:53 -0800 (PST)
>my front is about 2.0 cps and the rear perhaps 1.6.  the car is extremely
>stable, but id like to add a little more rear spring.   can i get away with
>2.0 cps front and 1.9 rear?
>
>i know some people that set spring rates by relative weigh on the front vs
>rear. does this work for rear heavy cars too?
>
>thanks,
>
>-james c
>OSP #74

The relationship of front/rear frequency is determined by the
wheelbase and the speed you will be driving at. Ergo, you can't
optimize this relationship for every speed, but you should choose
a speed that you will be travelling at most commonly. For autocross
that often means about 40 or 50 mph.

And, of course, when you change spring stiffness the over- and
under-steer is changed. So changing sway-bars may become necessary too.

Fred Puhn's book has some equations that can help you, and I have
some spreadsheets on my web-site (URL below) that do the math for
you.

Best o' wishes,

--

Dennis S Pedersen