Re: What's the Solo II rules on tire-warmers, and how are they

To: joe@bea.com (Joe)
Subject: Re: What's the Solo II rules on tire-warmers, and how are they
From: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:21:17 -0800 (PST)
Don't have the new bible to quote chapter and verse... but the wording
is something similar to "no active mechanism of heating tires".  Which
means anything passive should be able to be used.  What that has generally
been read to mean is that you can use blankets, even with reflective
material on them... but using the sun to heat them, or ducting exhaust
or engine heat onto the tires is questionable at best.  Anything electric
is pretty much right out.

Another loophole would be to leave your tires in the back of your van
or truck... while you have the heater blasting.  Then take them out
and mount them just before your runs.  Probably illegal, at least by any
reasonable interpretation of the rules.  Leaving them in a non-running
car that is retaining heat when it's ice cold outside... gray area!

        --Darren